Welcome to the first post of the AppNexus Developer Blog!
When AppNexus CEO Brian O'Kelley wrote earlier this year that programmatic advertising is dead, he heralded “The Programmable Age”: a new era combining advances in technology with innovation in advertising. He predicted that the backbone of this era is going to be “an open ecosystem –namely, platforms with open APIs– that host innovation rather than preclude it.”
At AppNexus we have been hard at work building the platform and APIs we believe will form the core of that open ecosystem.
We want to have a conversation with the community about how we can collaborate in building out the next-generation programmable platform. Our goal is to enable AppNexus clients, partners, and even competitors to have a strong understanding of what we are building and why, and to gather feedback to inform the roadmap. We hope that developers, data scientists, ad tech industry vets and technologists of all stripes will each be able to find something of interest.
So, what will you find here?
- Release announcements and updates on our most exciting products and APIs
- A strong focus on the AppNexus Programmable Bidder product suite, starting with a tutorial on our Bonsai Decision Tree DSL
- Descriptions of how we are using Big Data to power our own optimization, and advice on how you can use that technology to enhance your own algorithms and reporting
- Discussion of the systems that make our bidder product tick from core engineering
- In-depth dissections of our data pipeline
- Release announcements of open source tools and (possibly) even parts of our stack for the benefit of the community
- Retrospective analyses of features engineered by our Data Science team (such as Ad Viewability and Feature Selection for Big Data)
- First-hand accounts from customers and partners demonstrating some of the ingenious ways they have put the platform to use (and abuse)!
If you are interested in any of the topics above, please subscribe, and join the discussion in the comments below!
Together we’re going to make the ad tech industry, and hopefully the Internet as a whole, into a better, more open place.
Uri Bushey leads the Technical Services team, ensuring developer success on top on the AppNexus API. His team has worked closely in the past year to help deliver the APB Alpha Test to clients.